The market for detox teas and beverages has never been more demanding than it is today. People seem to be turning to these kinds of drinks in the hope they will aid their weight loss process, or they simply want to make themselves healthier. Either way, detox teas are the hottest thing trending in the world of healthy lifestyle. And, of course, because there is a huge market for these products, there are also numerous companies that are embarking on detox tea production. Therefore, it can be really hard to choose which product you will actually buy.
For that reason, today we will be reviewing the Flat Tummy Tea, from the Flat Tummy Co. If you’re active on social media, especially Instagram, you have probably come across commercials for this detox tea and shakes. It is usually recommended by influencers and Instagram models, but, does it work? In hope we answer that question, we are going to look at the tea, how it works, what the ingredients are, as well the downsides and possible alternatives. So, let’s get detoxing?
Flat Tummy Co. – A look into the producer of Flat Tummy Tea
Flat Tummy Co. is founded by Bec and Tim Polmear in 2013. The Polmeras had a strong background in marketing and were passionate about providing women with exceptional products that will encourage body positivity and healthy bodies and minds. Today, the company is extremely famous among celebrities, influencers and on social media, gathering 1.7 million followers on Instagram alone.
It is important to point out that the company is all about helping women feel good, look good and end their struggles when it comes to body image and eating practices. The company produces detox teas, shakes, and supplements which are all-natural, gluten-free, wheat-free, sugar-free and are made with natural flavoring. These products are intended and designed to be easy, healthy and consistent in what they provide to our nutrition and health. The company strives to be as real and as relatable as possible; the products come from real women and are made designed for true, fighting and aspiring women. Flat Tummy Co. is all about being supportive, inclusive and empowering, which seems to be lacking in the market of the new age. Many celebrities approve of this company and swear by its detox products.
What is Flat Tummy Tea?
According to the company, Flat Tummy Tea is a loose-leaf detox tea that is made from all-natural ingredients indented to help women with issues like bloating, slow digestive system and slow metabolism. Flat Tummy Tea is actually a part of the so-called cleansing program that consists of two different teas that are meant to activate the metabolism and cleanse the body from all kinds of toxins that have accumulated over time. The Activate detox tea is meant to reduce the issues with bloating and help the metabolism and the immune system stay at their highest performance. The other, Cleanse tea is meant to remove toxins from the body, decrease water retentions and overall help the body deal with bloating and problems with digestion.
The company stands by their claims that Flat Tummy Tea is created to fight off bloating, and help the stomach area become smaller and flatter as if you’ve been working out and working on your abs for months. It is important to add that Flat Tummy Tea is not a diet supplement that is supposed to decrease appetite and help you lose weight directly. It is meant to cleanse the metabolism, help you fight off bloating, but it will not actually help you lose a ton of weight and suddenly hop into several sizes smaller pants. The company always points out the importance of working out, healthy nutrition and overall being active and taking care of yourself. The Tea is only there to help you go through the weight loss adventure a bit easier, with as much help as possible.
How does Flat Tummy Tea Work?
The Flat Tummy Tea works in such a way that it allegedly supports the metabolism and reduces bloating. It is also supposed to cleanse and detoxify the body during the same process. The Flat Tummy Co. claims that it will take approximately 4 weeks or regular consumption to achieve visible effects, especially when it comes to bloating. As mentioned before, the Flat Tummy Tea consists of two different teas;
- Activate tea, which is supposed to reduce bloating, help maintain a healthy immune system and boost energy,
- Cleanse tea, which is supposed to detoxify your system, decrease water retention, cleanse the digestive system and reduce bloating as well.
Both teas are meant to be taken as an aid to the weight loss process. The tea alone won’t make your appetite suppressed nor will it make you lose weight directly. The tea will simply provide help and support for your metabolism while it works hard to keep high performance as you work out and eat healthily. Flat Tummy Tea will also give you a boost of energy, help you go through the day without feeling too tired and down, and it will keep your tummy flat.
What are the Ingredients in the Flat Tummy Tea?
The Flat Tummy Co. claims that the ingredients in their detox tea are all-natural, loose-leaf herbs. The ingredients in the Active and the Cleanse teas are different. Active tea contains peppermint leaves, lemon balm, licorice, dandelion (both leaf and root), fennel seeds, loose-leaf green tea, cardamom pods, and caraway seeds. All of these ingredients are known for their exceptional effects on the immune system, digestive system and the ability to aid the body to lose weight. Moreover, the Cleanse tea contains Senna leaves, peppermint leaves, licorice root, caraway seeds, dandelion root, rhubarb root, and the Cassia Chamaecrista pods. Now, these ingredients are especially effective when it comes to cleansing the digestive system. All together they might have a laxative effect as they stimulate the bowel movement.
Expert Opinions regarding the Flat Tummy Tea
Sometimes detox teas seem too good to be true; is it really possible for a bunch of herbs to introduce such changes to our bodies, immune system, and metabolism? The truth is, doctors and medical professionals usually deem these kinds of products as completely misleading and ineffective. Weight loss, for example, cannot be achieved by simply drinking a mix of herbs; it can surely help, but it can also have numerous side effects. Some Flat Tummy Tea users have claimed to be drinking this tea instead of eating a meal; this is especially condemned by medical professionals, as it is never a good idea to replace meals with liquid. For example, Holly F. Lofton MD, director of the Medical Weight Management Program at NYU has explained that this drink will probably help you lose weight fast, but once you resume eating normally, the pounds will come back. Detox tea simply does not provide enough nutritional value, so this kind of weight loss is not sustainable nor healthy.
The doctor further advises against such drinks and weight loss ideas, as they can trigger eating disorders is some women and young girls. Women are made to believe that swapping meals and detox tea can help them lose weight and stay lean; as if things were that easy? The only way to achieve the desired weight and start creating a positive body image is by undergoing sustainable weight loss through exercising and healthy nutrition. The doctor, moreover, blames the celebrities and influencer who keep promoting Flat Tummy Tea and Flat Tummy products, as they are making us believe that these drinks have made them look the way they look when we all know what the real story is.
Related: Why Matcha is Good for Weight Loss?
Downsides to Flat Tummy Tea
Now, the purpose of this tea is to be beneficial for your health, however, there seem to be certain downsides to the Flat Tummy Tea. Here are the main ones you should be aware of before embarking on the Flat Tummy journey;
- Laxative effect – just like it is usually the deal with detox beverages, Flat Tummy Tea also seems to be having a laxative effect because of the ingredients it contains. The laxative effect can be tricky, as it can make you think that you are thinner, or losing weight when you are in fact losing liquids from your body. That is what laxatives are extremely dangerous, as they can lead to dehydration, slower metabolism, inability to function properly, mentally and physically. The laxative effect of this tea can surely trigger certain eating disorders, which is something we should all be aware of before starting the cleansing Flat Tummy Tea program.
- It contains caffeine – alongside the natural ingredients, the company admits that the tea does, in fact, contain caffeine as well. There are approximately 2mg of caffeine in one cup of the Flat Tummy Tea. While it should not create any major problems, for people who are sensitive to caffeine, it can cause headaches, jitters and other uncomfortable symptoms.
- Takes long to brew – it seems that the length of the infusion process is a problem for many customers. The infusion period is between 5 and 7 minutes, which is normal for herbal teas, but when you’re in a morning rush, 7 minutes can seem like a long time to wait for a cup of tea. This might be a subjective complaint, but surely worth sharing with potential users.
- Shipment outside the USA takes too long – while the shipment of this product takes between 5 to 7 working days in the US, for other countries it can be anywhere between 3 to 4 weeks. Some customers claim that they’ve received their Flat Tummy Tea even 6 weeks after ordering. Not to mention that there is no priority shipping option and that the shipping can cost up to $7.95 on top of the tea price, which is $36.75.
- Overpriced – speaking of the tea cost, it is clear that $36.75 is too much for herbal tea, especially when you realize that it will only make 28 servings. Many claim that Flat Tummy Tea is simply overpriced, regular tea that has been packed fancily and promoted by celebrities, influencers, and models. For the same price, you can buy high-grade, first flush Japanese or Chinese green tea (that yields far more servings) that is even healthier for your body and more likely to effective in the weight loss assistance than this overpriced Flat Tummy mixture.
Flat Tummy Tea Alternatives
- T2 Detox Loose Leaf Tea – this is another Australian company that provides products like detox teas. The deal with the company, however, is that it does not focus on selling the idea that their tea will create miracles and help you lose weight overnight. They claim that the natural ingredients in the tea will simply give your body the strength to lose weight and build itself new. The company offers numerous varieties of tea, and the price starts at $10 for 25 tea bags. Moreover, at the company’s website, you will see that they sell organic, plain, loose-leaf tea, so you can check that out as well.
More: Best Loose Leaf Tea 2020
- Pukka Detox Tea – Pukka is a reliable tea company that is probably one of the best on the market. This company provides all sorts of tea varieties, but their detox mixes seem to be one of the bestsellers. The company claims their detox tea is the ultimate organic cup that will help your body cleanse and detoxify. It is recommended to be taken in the spring, in order to help your body restore and get ready for the summer. The tea is cleansing without the laxative effect and is also caffeine-free. Not to mention that this tea is very affordable; at some retailers, the price for 20 tea bags is $2.99.
More: 8 Best Detox Teas 2020
When entering the detox tea world, it is important to be very careful. The companies that sell these kinds of products usually want to profit off of an idea of easy and fast weight loss, as weight is a big problem for a lot of people. So, before ordering anything, make sure to check available information, customer reviews and of course, the ingredients list. This way you will create a big picture of what it is that you’re ordering and how it will or won’t help you in your weight loss adventure. You can always try to go all-natural and resort to green, black or white tea, but if you want to spice things up with detox tea, just make sure to do your research. Of course, you can discuss the use of detox tea with a medical professional for more information.